According to SPER, the gambling trade association in Sweden, the marketing code as of March 2019 has led to positive developments regarding gambling ads.
The guidelines consist of 9 points and include the following instructions:
- marketing is to be factually precise;
- it must not urge excessive play;
- no marketing to underage players;
- no offering “no registration” products;
- operators bear the responsibility for thirdparty marketing partners;
- SMS and email marketing can be used only with clients’ advance consent with an option to unsubscribe.
SPER representatives outlined that these instructions proved their efficiency in forcing operators to moderate the quantity and content of their advertisements.
Nevertheless, the ad code is unlikely to prevent the local authorities from introducing more severe restrictions for Swedish gambling companies.
The Swedish government and gambling operators have been arguing since the regulated market opening in January. After a number of warnings from Spelinspektionen (Swedish gambling regulator) regarding underage betting, the regulating body stated that operators are not used to strict regulatory enforcement.
As mentioned earlier, Stockholm has been chosen as a venue for the legendary Dota 2 tournament – The International 2020.
Read more: Swedish Casinos: History and Prospects