Poker consists of several card games where the player has to gamble over which hand has the high ranking cards, according to the rules of the game.
In the common type of poker, the first round begins with players placing bets according to the cards they have in their hands as compared to the opponent’s hands. The bets are placed in the clockwise direction, where the next player has to match the previous bet or fold his or her hand, losing the bet. A player can also match a bet and increase the wager. The round ends when all the players have called the bets or have folded their hands. If only one player folds his or her hands on any round, then the other players collect the pot without showing the cards on their hands. However, if there is more than one player remaining after the final betting round, a showdown happens where all the cards of the players are revealed and the player who has the highest-ranking cards in the hands wins the round and takes the pot.
If you want to see how to play poker, then there are several websites that can teach you the basics of the game, and you can learn more here.
What is online poker?
You can play poker from your home if you have a computer with an internet connection. In the traditional versions of poker, a player had to visit venues like casinos and poker rooms to play poker.
It can be intimidating for amateur players and beginners to play in poker rooms with professionals. Moreover, the poker rooms and casinos are located in distant places, and it is not possible always for a player to travel to the location for a simple game of poker.
Online poker can be played comfortably from a player’s home, without having to go to any casinos or poker rooms. People from all over the world play online poker from the comfort of their homes.
The casinos do not want to organize many poker matches because the profit amount is very low from poker games. Moreover, poker rooms in casinos have a high entry fee and very high stakes where the player has the risk of losing a huge sum of money.
There is no need to book an actual room for a poker match, so they are a lot cheaper. If someone wants to add another table to the online poker, they do not have to arrange for extra space or another poker table.
Moreover, if you want to play poker online, you can do it for a meager amount of money. The online poker websites have a very low entry fee, allowing a player to join without worrying about money.
History of online poker
Poker has been played for many years, but online poker playing is relatively new. Planet Poker was the first website where a player could play online poker. It was started by a professional poker player called Mike Caro in the year 1998.
Benefits of online poker
- Everyone knows the proverb “practice makes a man perfect”, and the online poker rooms offer the perfect opportunity for both novice and professional poker players to brush up their poker skills. There are a lot of free poker rooms where a player can practice without having to pay any money.
- Another major advantage of online poker is that it costs a lot cheaper than traditional poker rooms. The overhead charges are a lot less than the casinos, so any player can enjoy a smaller buy-in and play online poker.
- In the traditional poker rooms, a player has to visit the venue for just one game of poker. But with the rise of online playing, now any person can play poker from anywhere as long as they have an internet connection on their computers. Online poker can also be played on a variety of devices like mobile phones and tablets. You can play it while traveling or from the comfort of your own home.
- Many online casinos provide welcome offers to new players like matched deposits and bonuses. These offers are given so that a player has more interest in continuing the poker match. A lot of websites offer choices where a player can start gambling without using any of their own money.
- There are many online poker rooms where you will be taught how to play online poker so you can always opt for the poker coaching classes to become a professional poker player.
Benefits of regulating online poker
Although online poker is very easy to play, and any player can win huge sums of money, like any other form of gambling, online poker is also not new to cheating.
There are many ways in which a person can cheat in online poker like using bots or computer programs that can predict the cards at the hands of the opponent. Insider cheating is also another form of cheating in online poker where a person who has access to the system server, like the employee of a poker room can use their position and authority to play poker themselves with the advantage of knowing the game from inside out.
This is why online poker needs to be regulated strictly by the authorities. Many states have made it legal to gamble in poker, and other states are following suit. Online gambling is a million-dollar business, and so it should always be regulated by officials to ensure fair play.
It happened in many cases where it was found by an online poker room that a particular player was using unfair means to win and was banned from the match. Online poker rooms should always actively scan their players for such behavior so that every person can get a chance at winning.
Since online gambling is a huge market, it will not be possible to regulate all the aspects of online poker but still, authorities have started using research teams to find out the probable methods used by the cheaters.
Read more: Mike Postle: net worth and poker career