One of the things Spaniards enjoy doing is, of course, gambling, which, luckily for them, is completely legal in the country. Currently, the industry is regulated by the Spanish Gambling Act, which came into force on May 29 in 2011.
The main body in this field is the General Directorate for Gambling Regulation, whose responsibilities involve issuing permissions for work, as well as monitoring land-based and online gambling at the state level. Local authorities issue licenses to operators who provide services within the region. They also oversee the industry and monitor compliance with local laws.
To stay updated on all developments in the Spanish gambling regulations, follow news about gambling in Europe.
How to establish a Spanish casino online?
Online gambling can be offered at both federal and regional levels. Companies prefer applying for federal licenses, which allow them to offer their services in the whole territory of the country, without having to apply for permissions at a regional level.
To start offering online gambling in the country at the federal level, a company is required to get a general license per each category of game, as well as a single license for each game type included in its general license category.
Below, you will find more information on types of permissions that are possible to receive at the federal level:
- general license for betting;
- general license for contests;
- general license for offering other types of games, which covers single licenses for blackjack, roulette, baccarat, poker, slots, bingo, and other games.
General licenses are valid for 10 years, and they can be extended by another ten years. As for single permissions, their minimum duration is 1 year and a maximum one – 5 years, depending upon the type of a gambling product a company offers. Single licenses can be extendable by subsequent periods of the same duration as well.
To be able to get a license, a company must be based in the economic zone of the European Union and engaged only in the gambling business. An entity must be within the Spanish Commercial Register, and foreign companies must be added to a similar register in their home country. In addition, the latter must have a permanent representative in Spain.
Operators wishing to offer services in Spain are required to provide all the necessary documents for their finances and economics, as well as all data on technical support and personnel.
To find out more about other countries on this subject, read the article dedicated to online gambling in Europe.
As for application fees, an operator must pay:
- ten thousand euros for each general and special license;
- two thousand and five hundred euros for each license to be entered into the Gaming Registry;
- thirty-eight thousand euros for the certification of all licenses (mandatory consultations before obtaining a license).
Online casinos in Spain: games variety
Virtual gambling establishments offer Spanish players to try over thousands of exciting games, which fall into one of these categories:
- roulette ( more information about odds for roulette is available here );
- games with a live dealer.
Among all this variety, both experienced gamblers and novices will be able to find something to their liking. To make the game process even more interesting for gamblers, operators offer numerous promotions, as well as provide the opportunity to try the demo versions of games.
Online casinos in Spain: slots that have gained popularity
Similar to players from other European countries, Spanish gamblers enjoy trying their luck at slot machines. Below, you will find descriptions of some of the most popular slots in this region:
- Jackpot 6,000 is a three-reel slot machine by the industry’s leader NetEnt. It features five paylines and provides players with a great opportunity to hit the jackpot thanks to wild symbols.
- Cleopatra is an exciting five-reel slot machine from the IGT provider. The game is based on the story of Cleopatra, the beautiful Egyptian queen, so, during the game, there will be a lot of references to the Egyptian culture.
- Gonzo's Quest is another NetEnt’s game on this list. It has five reels and twenty paylines. This game tells the legend of the well-known historical character Gonzalo Pizarro, who was a real Spanish conquistador. The slot machine, whose main highlights are great 3D graphics and animation, takes players in search of the fictional city Eldorado.
- Mega Joker is a classic game by Greentube, which features five reels, as well as forty adjustable paylines. In addition, this slot machine contains twelve symbols, including a scatter and a wild symbol.
- Dead or Alive by NetEnt is a slot machine that features five reels, nine pay lines, wild and scatter symbols. The famous game provides players with an opportunity to travel back in time to see the Wild West at the turn of the 20th century.
Fans of this category of games will certainly be interested in getting useful slot machine tips from the experts in this field.
Online gambling in Spain: prospects for its development
Recent changes to Spanish laws on gambling, namely reduction of the tax by five per cent in 2018, have made this market even more attractive for casino operators. The industry’s experts do not doubt that Spanish liberal laws in this field will draw a large number of casino operators in the near future, which will give Spaniards an opportunity to enjoy the most fascinating games.
Frequently asked questions about online gambling in Spain
Is it legal to play in online casinos from Spain?
For players, it is lawful to play at Spanish virtual gambling establishments, as there are no restrictions in this regard. As for online casinos, it is illegal for them to accept Spaniards if they do not have a license provided by the authorities.
Is it safe to gamble online in Spain?
It is safe to play at Spanish gambling establishments online. The only important thing is to make sure that the selected casino holds a license.
What is the age limit to gamble online in Spain?
If you want to join an online casino in Spain, you need to be at least eighteen years old.
How can a player deposit to an online casino in Spain?
To make a deposit, you need to visit the casino’s page dedicated to depositing, enter the amount you would like to deposit, and then confirm the payment method you will utilize.
Are there any tax fees on online casino winnings in Spain?
Spaniards are required to declare casino winnings exceeding two thousand and five hundred euros. Players will be taxed twenty per cent past these profits, which Spaniards must declare on their income tax, but, at the same time, Spanish tax laws allow gamblers to declare their losses too.
Can I play online casino on my mobile phone in Spain?
In Spain, it is possible to play casino games utilizing a mobile phone, the most important thing, in this case, is to register at a virtual gambling establishment that allows mobile play.
Can a player claim an online casino bonus in Spain?
Thanks to the diversity of virtual casinos, you will be able to find many great promotions that are available exclusively to Spaniards when making a deposit at a Spanish gambling establishment online.
What help is available in Spain with a gambling problem?
If you suffer from problem gambling, the best way to cope with this issue is to get professional help at one of the addiction treatment centers located in such cities as Valencia and Madrid.
Read more: Main signs of gambling addiction