To understand the way slots are played, users need to get familiar with all the special features, and buttons. Those willing to try gambling but have doubts about one’s skills should first practice a bit either in the domain version of the game or in social casinos. Now let us consider the most important items.
Before starting the game, one has to understand the way it works in order not to lose all the money at once. Nowadays casinos offer a huge number of thematic slots. Nevertheless, before starting gambling try to search for any accessible information about the game you are going to play.
How Do Gaming Machines Work?
- Play – press this button and the game will start.
- Bet one/Max – these buttons are used for placing your bet according to your cash balance.
- Paylines – these are lines where winning combinations appear.
- AutoStart – this button is used for non-stop wheel spinning.
- Coins or Coins Value – with the help of this button you can find out coin value.
- Info/Paytable – shows the info about game rules, symbols, winning combinations and bonus features.
- Coins balance – shows game balance.
- Win – shows the prize after each spin of the wheel.
- Bet/Line – displays the bet amount per one payline.
- Lines bet – indicates the number of active paylines.
- Bet – shows the bet amount per spin.
- Reels – winning combinations that emerge on the wheels. Slot machines can have 3, 5 or more wheels.
- Symbols – symbols make winning combinations. They are divided into simple and special ones.
- Winning lines – lines where winning combinations arise.
Brief Overview of Gaming Machine History
In 1891, Sittman and Pitt created the first poker-based gaming machine in the world. The device consisted of five wheels and fifty cards.
The first video slot game was developed in 1976 in California by Fortune Coin Co. It took several decades to develop the first online slot, which was created in 1994. This slot machine consisted of three wheels, one lever and a single payline.
Much later, slots with 5, 20, 25 and more wheels and a diverse number of paylines, as well as 3D slots with brief animations, were presented on the market.
Game Types and Features
The main feature that distinguishes slots from other casino games is spinning wheels. The goal is to spin the wheel and get the maximum number of winning combinations. Gaming machines can be of different types. Currently, the most sought-after ones are classic, fruit, video and 3D slots.
There are also symbols (wild, scatter and standard), free spins, multipliers, etc. in modern slots. Let us consider these games and their special functions.
Such games consist of 3 wheels and 1-5 paylines. Some of them have only one special feature. Ultra Hot is a perfect example of a classic slot game.
Fruit-themed slots are characterized by a big number of fruit symbols that make up winning combinations. Among the most well-known fruit slots is Novomatic’s Sizzling Hot.
This type of gaming machine features bonus characteristics and animated winning combinations. The most popular video slot producers are Microgaming, Playtech, and many others.
Gaming machines with 3D effects and graphics.
- Wild symbol. A special symbol that can substitute all other symbols except scatter ones.
- Multipliers. Wild symbols in a winning combination are able to multiply the prize by two or even five.
- Scatter symbol. When two, three, four or five scatter symbols appear – this is the beginning of a bonus round.
- Free spins – bonus rounds that are triggered by special symbols. It usually takes at least three scatter symbols to start free spins.
Players have to choose the software depending on their place of residence. For instance, US citizens cannot play Novomatic’s software, that is why they need to search for other platforms. In Russia, online gambling is prohibited (except betting). There are illegal operators on the Russian market, but Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media (Roskomnadzor) identifies and blocks them. Nevertheless, Russian legislation allows social casinos, because they are free of charge and do not require donations.
Betsoft Gaming was founded in 1999 and nowadays their portfolio consists of more than 100 casino games. Among other things, that company is well-known for its 3D slots.
Microgaming. This company’s portfolio consists of over 600 games.
Novomatic. The majority of the company’s slots are very popular among players: Book of Ra, Book of Ra 2, Sizzling Hot, Lord of the Ocean, Dolphin’s Pearl and Lucky Lady’s Charm. Currently, Novomatic is the top casino software developer.
Playtech. One of the oldest and most famous companies. Playtech is the creator of such slot games as King Kong, Pink Panther, Incredible Hulk, Blade, Iron Man 2, Gladiator, etc.
Rival is a young company that has been operating on the market since 2005. This software is a perfect option for US residents.
Cryptologic. The sector consists of a great number of well-known companies, and Cryptologic is one of them. It was established in 1995 and since that time, the firm has managed to create a huge number of slots. The company is famous for its games based on DC comics.
NetEnt. This game producer has been on the market for more than 15 years. That is why NetEnt’s gambling software is so popular in many casinos. The company is a strong competitor on the market.
PartyGaming’s portfolio contains not only slots, but also poker, roulette, bingo, and online sports betting. The company can boast such popular film-based slot games as Rambo, Resident Evil, Robin Hood, etc.
Real Time Gaming. Real Time Gaming’s software is mostly preferred by American players.
Novomatic: simple gameplay. This offer is also available for the US residents.
Wager Gaming Technology. It is noteworthy that the company has released over one hundred variously themed slot games. Wager Gaming Technology’s games are mostly played by British and American users.
As mentioned earlier, the government of Latvia suggested increasing gambling taxes on slot games.
Read more: Top 10 Myths about Slots: Fact or Fiction?
Read more: Best New Year Themе Slots of 2019: Selection